OWHtv is a great way to gain more information about Operation Write Home, learn more about cardmaking, and develop community around the project!
Several times a week, a new short video goes on air with tips, inspiration, news, and responses to YOUR questions. So be sure to leave comments on the video page or our blog and your question might be answered or addressed in an upcoming video!
Not enough video on OWHtv? Check out the classes in our store as well!
How and where can you watch?
- Each daily episode is now compiled on Saturdays or Sundays into a blog post (scroll down to see them). So you can watch them all at once, or scroll through to see what looks interesting from the week.
- Watch them all on YouTube!
- Visit the show’s Facebook page and see the videos there.
- To receive emails from YouTube when the shows are posted (usually noon-2pm Pacific), subscribe to the channel. Make sure you check any box that asks if you’d like to be emailed; some folks have it checked but haven’t received the emails, so use one of the other methods if that happens.
- Be sure to share relevant videos with your friends – use Mailroom segments to invite others to write AnyHero letters, or send cardmaking videos to your crafty friends who need some inspiration. If there’s something particularly compelling, share it—and ask your friends and family to donate to support our work!
Another week of fun while I’m away…hope you all have been enjoying the videos I made ahead of time for you! This first video shows some challenges with this week’s sketch – and how we can adjust our designs to make sure we’re not producing sneeze on our cards. If you can’t see the videos below in email, click on the blog post title to go see it on the blog.
And in the second video, I show you how I re-did a card similar to the sample card!
The office reopens next week – but it’ll still be a while til things are their “normal” level of busy again, lots of catchup to do!
I’m in Europe – and what better than soccer….er, uhm, football? Futball? (Oh where is that u with the little dots over it!) This week – a card using a hexagon die, and then another video challenging use of some of the leftover bits! (If you can’t see these videos in email, click on the blog title to go to the website to see them.)
Supplies for both videos:
Happy Valentines Day!
This week we invited YOU to join in…we had 20 winners chosen and they’ll have a month to make a card and get it sent in. We’ll share our favorites out of those – (If you can’t see these videos in email, click on the blog title to go to the website to see them.)
Remember that the office is closed for just over 2 weeks, so the standard courtesy receipts will not be sent til possibly March. Emails will not be answered until then, either. Thanks for your patience!
Supplies for both videos:
The Stitched Animals are listed HERE, but not the Stitched flowers yet; put yourself on the ‘notify’ list and maybe both will be in at the same time!
Happy last-day-of-January! Where on earth has the month gone?? Have you started correctly dating checks “2015” yet?
This week we had a special treat – two videos on Monday with the new Hero Arts stamps! They’ll be in stores VERY soon, I believe they ship in the next week or two, wahoo! This first video showcases the Stitched Animals and Copic coloring – and fixing a big oops! (If you can’t see these videos in email, click on the blog title to go to the website to see them.)
The video over on the Hero Arts channel combines a few stamps: the foxes are already available (released last fall) and you can get them HERE. The envelope stamp set will be part of the new release soon!
And we followed that up with an unboxing…we know how much you love these videos!
Just this morning we released our SitRep a day early – since no one will be online tomorrow during the Super Bowl! If you didn’t receive the enews, you might want to sign up for the email list HERE so you can get next month’s newsletter.
Today’s a special day: not one, but TWO videos using our new stamps! One is on our very own OWHtv below using the Stitched Animals set…..the other is HERE on the Hero Arts blog. Stamps will be available soon at your local and online stores! (Ask your LSS owner to get them in!)
Be sure to go leave love over on the Hero Arts blog so they know how much everyone wants these stamps!
Last Week’s Show
And since I oopsied and forgot to post last week’s OWHtv episodes here on the blog (bad me!), here you go – the first has our Hero Arts Stencil, using finger daubers with Unicorn, Butter Bar, and Green ink from a minicube ink set.
…and the other uses the brand new Easter Blessings set from Avery Elle! This shows an easy way to get Tombow markers to blend: emboss the image with clear powder, scribble a little marker color, then spritz with a mister of water!
It’s been so busy ’round here what with recovery from CHA, I totally forgot to post OWHtv for last week! Eeep! The new stamps from Hero Arts are available for stores to purchase….watch your favorite stores (online and brick-and-mortar) for them around the first week of February. More details about availability when we get some!
PS Deadline reminder: Feb 28 is the due date for all Easter cards. Lots of folks have been sending us holiday cards weeks past the deadlines, so please be aware of those, thank you!
Supplies for the watercolor card: The watercolors come in a couple different sized sets; for a card like the one shown, the small set would work perfectly.
OWHtv is back! After a nice holiday break, the show is back on…2-3 days a week. This week we have the monthly sit-rep, an unboxing – and a discovery of some new shiny gold watercolors!
Unboxing Debbie’s Cards:
And I had mentioned the hamburger-hotdog fold video…here’s that one:
Want to get a look at the paints? They’re HERE! Be sure to TEST YOUR OWN TECHNIQUE…this stays put and doesn’t rub off with this technique on this paper. We’d love your help in testing to see if other techniques work as well, so be sure to let us know.
Only one episode of OWHtv this week, then the show will be off til January 6th….but I wanted to be sure you get your gifts before Christmas! If I could wrap it up and put it in your stockings, you know I would! (If you want to watch it in HD on YouTube, click HERE).
Cheryl’s blog: http://scrappinforourtroops.blogspot.com/
And he’s not on OWHtv…but Punch wanted to sing a carol for you:
Also – I wanted to embed THIS amazing kleenex alert, but a link will have to do.
As mentioned in the video – on January 1st we’ll have InLinkz open at 5am PST on our blog for everyone to share their top cards made for our heroes in 2014! A few details:
- We’ll call it the Top 14 of 2014 Bloghop – but if you want to do your top 5 and keep it simpler that’s fine too!
- Please only share cards made for OWH that meet our guidelines; if you have a glitterific card that you want to add in the mix, please note for readers that it’s not for OWH. We don’t wanna confuse anyone!
- You can create something new as well, or just re-share cards you’ve sent in.
- Be sure to come visit all the other folks who share, too – make some new friends and add more blogs to your subscriptions!
- Get the word out ahead of time that you’ll be doing this….and invite friends to join in too!
- No blog? Try setting up a Pinterest board with your top 14 and link that up! Or a Flickr or other online gallery. Lots of options!
Have a Merry Christmas!
Hello and happy weekend, everyone! It’s time to bring you our re-runs of this week’s videos…two with cardmaking ideas, and of course reminders that the last winter cards should be in our hands by Dec 31st. It takes weeks for them to get out to our heroes, and weeks or even months for them to get back home – so we don’t want them to be sending snowmen at Easter!
The third video this week shows what it takes to pack the extra AnyHero mail packets every Christmas—we’re still receiving a lot more in the mail since the mail was packed and shipped out, and we’ve mailed as much as we could….but since some of our heroes have said they wished they’d gotten the Christmas letters before the holiday, we no longer send late holiday mail. So the rest that’s still arriving will be saved for next season. Note that Christmas is the ONLY time to write seasonal AnyHero letters; the way mail is read, sorted, and processed, it’s too difficult to save other seasonal greetings and make sure they get mailed during the right timeframe. Thanks for your help!
One other thing – look in thee “Parade” insert if your hometown newspaper carries it…OWH was mentioned!!!
——— S U P P L I E S ———
• Ranger MINI ROUND INK BLENDING TOOLS —— http://goo.gl/e913hW
• Tim Holtz Distress Ink Pad PICKED RASPBERRY Ranger SUMMER TIM34995 —— http://goo.gl/IXP1k9
• Neenah Classic Crest 80 LB —— http://goo.gl/Kt0o6V
• Tim Holtz Distress Ink Pad PEACOCK FEATHERS Ranger Spring 95910 or TIM34933 —— http://goo.gl/iZZhl7
• Ranger Non Stick Craft Sheet —— http://goo.gl/3kAF9e
• Memory Box WINTER LARGE SNOWFLAKES Designer Stencil 88586 —— http://goo.gl/iLNPSE
• Lawn Fawn Forest Border Die —— http://goo.gl/EyXuCk
• Arrow Messages SSS —— http://goo.gl/uHQqLj
Embossing folder sky:
——— S U P P L I E S ———
• Arrow Messages SSS —— http://goo.gl/I9l7X5
• Cuttlebug Snow Embossing Folder —— http://goo.gl/Y4MPE4
• Tim Holtz Distress Ink Pad PICKED RASPBERRY Ranger SUMMER TIM34995 —— http://goo.gl/wpe96z
• Tim Holtz Distress Ink Pad PEACOCK FEATHERS Ranger Spring 95910 or TIM34933 —— http://goo.gl/q1cBN6
• Simon Says Talk Bubble Dies —— http://goo.gl/N7LVPj
• Neenah Classic Crest 80 LB —— http://goo.gl/C7OBcz
• EK Success Heart and Star Punch —— http://goo.gl/GXIZ5r
• Crop-a-Dile Corner Chomper Tool —— http://goo.gl/DyLXeV
• Ranger Archival Ink Pad —— http://goo.gl/AiDj0Q
Packing AnyHero Mail:
There’s one episode of OWHtv coming on Tuesday – then we’ll take the show on holiday break until Jan 6th. Merry Christmas!
Welcome to our recap of week 170! A couple easy cards – as well as a view of what it takes to use up a 6×6 pad of paper and come out with AMAZING cards!
Peekaboo Seal Card
——— T I P S ———
• Use heavy card bases when creating simple cards – and score cleanly.
• Offset a design; sometimes leaving empty space creates a focal point on a card.
• Align stamps by using an acrylic block to place a stamp before inking.
——— S U P P L I E S ———
• Lawn Fawn Critters in the Snow —— http://goo.gl/AThg11
• EK Success 1-3/4″ circle punch —— http://goo.gl/HHOsmF
• Absorber —— http://goo.gl/ORGZUC
• Tsukineko Memento Ink Pad Tuxedo Black —— http://goo.gl/6UKJUr
• Hero Arts Unicorn White Ink —— http://goo.gl/gVwXDN
• Hero Arts Mini Cube Cornflower Ink —— http://goo.gl/02pyX0
• Hero Arts Cornflower Ink —— http://goo.gl/8w3LHZ
• Copic Sketch Marker C2 —— http://goo.gl/uIhDvB
• Copic Sketch Marker C0 —— http://goo.gl/lX7dym
• Copic Sketch Marker W3 —— http://goo.gl/x9lZaB
Diecut Scrap Card
——— T I P S ———
• Use up those scraps! Hoarding them just keeps us buried in doodads, so find a design like this and use em up!
• Put thin dimensional adhesive close to open diecuts to keep them raised up but not too tall.
• Don’t forget to decorate the inside!
——— S U P P L I E S ———
• PTI hello die —— http://goo.gl/ozBxUI
• Tombow Power Tabs —— http://goo.gl/xKciJp
• Tombow Adhesive Stamp Runner & Refill —— http://goo.gl/NiRXjl
• Sunshine Cardstock —— http://goo.gl/dH8L6f
Cardmaker Kristie sharing her 6×6 process
Kristie’s blog post: HERE
—— S K E T C H E S ——–