OWHtv is a great way to gain more information about Operation Write Home, learn more about cardmaking, and develop community around the project!
Several times a week, a new short video goes on air with tips, inspiration, news, and responses to YOUR questions. So be sure to leave comments on the video page or our blog and your question might be answered or addressed in an upcoming video!
Not enough video on OWHtv? Check out the classes in our store as well!
How and where can you watch?
- Each daily episode is now compiled on Saturdays or Sundays into a blog post (scroll down to see them). So you can watch them all at once, or scroll through to see what looks interesting from the week.
- Watch them all on YouTube!
- Visit the show’s Facebook page and see the videos there.
- To receive emails from YouTube when the shows are posted (usually noon-2pm Pacific), subscribe to the channel. Make sure you check any box that asks if you’d like to be emailed; some folks have it checked but haven’t received the emails, so use one of the other methods if that happens.
- Be sure to share relevant videos with your friends – use Mailroom segments to invite others to write AnyHero letters, or send cardmaking videos to your crafty friends who need some inspiration. If there’s something particularly compelling, share it—and ask your friends and family to donate to support our work!
Hello everyone! Just popping in with a quick note for those who didn’t receive the enewsletter recently about the broadcast coming up today. I’m disappointed that content is a bit different than planned originally, but I’ll explain all that when we’re live. It’ll still be fun and we can have some fun chat too!
Download the app to your smart device, and that allows you to interact and ask questions, comment, etc. Periscope is a free app (download on itunes or google play). I can answer more app questions too.
OR watch via the web – hop over HERE and you can see it live, but will not be able to interact.
A chatting alternate: If you’re on the web and have questions you’d like to ask, tweet them to @sandyallnock with #owhqa – I’ll be checking in on twitter during the broadcast, too.
Replay: The replay will be available HERE for 24 hours; I’m also *crossingmyfingersandhoping* to film the broadcast on the big camera too, and put that up on YouTube. Stay tuned…never quite tried this before! If it doesn’t work, I’ll create a shorter summary video for YT.
Hello friends! We’re without a feature this week again…I sent out a couple requests for interviews and didn’t get responses back…..but I have a few more to send out so hopefully we’ll be back on track next Friday.
In the meantime, a little fun.
I was in the mall to run a fast errand and accidentally parked by a department store, and had to hold my breath to make it through the perfume aisle. (eeeep!) I had to hold it a little longer to snap a pic of this. I know, it’s marketing, but it still caught my attention – do things like this stop you too? It got me wondering if there are things on shelves in my house that could be arranged in just the right way…..or perhaps I need to go to the hardware store and pick up some panels to paint. Wouldn’t this be a great front door?
If you like to watercolor, or have wanted to try out some watercolor, there’s a hop going on over at Pretty Pink Posh. It’s more of a challenge than a hop – the design team and guests have inspiration, but you can add your own card to the Inlinkz and maybe qualify to win some awesome goodies! Check it out HERE (and be sure to find the one by yours truly, I have a fun technique you might like!) I’m thinking of doing some watercolor next week for OWHtv maybe?
Have a great weekend….and watch your mail next week. You’ll know what I mean.
Happy weekend, everyone! This week on OWHtv we had fun with a background that’s a pretty classic one – and then shared the cards made with tags we sent out to crafters. (I hear I mixed up a pair – so sorry, ladies!)
No pre-varnished pad? Emboss and color a background stamp – the easy way! Watch below or click HERE to see it in HD on YouTube.
——— S U P P L I E S ———
• Hero Arts Looped Circle Background —— http://goo.gl/d56JgC
• Tim Holtz Distress Watercolor Cardstock —— http://goo.gl/uvuuAk
• Hero Arts Clear Embossing Powder —— http://goo.gl/lb644R
• VersaMark Ink Pad —— http://goo.gl/vs9U33
• Powder Tool —— http://goo.gl/IjDEzk
• Hero Arts Embossing Gun —— http://goo.gl/2hgjlo
• Distress Ink Pad, Peeled Paint —— http://goo.gl/eoeTg5
• Tim Holtz Forest Moss Ink —— http://goo.gl/kSQSS1
• Tim Holtz Walnut Stain Ink —— http://goo.gl/V2yd9M
• Ranger Inkssentials Mini Misters (3) —— http://goo.gl/iStQZF
• EK Success HONEY BEE Non-Stick Scissors 54-00049 —— http://goo.gl/52wbOU
• Tombow Adhesive Stamp Runner & Refill —— http://goo.gl/N7YI4F
• ATG dispenser —— http://goo.gl/8hwLFF
Are you ready for the Easter bunny? Prepping for church services? (I’m curious how many OWHers are in a choir…do we have more talents than papercrafting?) Well if you have some downtime, get inspired by this week’s videos. All about making backgrounds for cards…. with a pre-prepared paper pad. Enjoy! And have a happy Easter!
***if you got this post by email, it accidentally included a peek at next week’s video…I moved things around and forgot to change it here!***
Just Add Watercolor
The new Cosmo Cricket pad is so cool – it’s already embossed and already has foil! So coolio! The product keeps running out at Simon Says and Ellen Hutson, but you can add yourself to the notification lists and they’ll let you know when it’s back in. And while I use the Kuretake watercolors, you can use whatever you like to paint with. Watch below or click HERE to see it in HD on YouTube.
——— S U P P L I E S ———
• Cosmo Cricket Just Add Watercolor 8 x 8 at Simon Says —— http://goo.gl/5Ll3ZY
• Cosmo Cricket Just Add Watercolor 8 x 8 at Ellen Hutson —— http://goo.gl/Wol59A
• Kuretake Gansai Tambi, 24 Color Set at Simon Says —— http://goo.gl/5uM3s4
• Kuretake Gansai Tambi, 24 Color Set at Ellen Hutson —— http://goo.gl/TnozS0
• Power Tabs —— http://goo.gl/Y9vb9K
OWH under government review!
Our April Situation Report
It’s been another fun week around here….the Mother’s Day last-minute cards have been arriving, thank you! Two OWHtv videos this week helped get us a bit inspired…hope you enjoy them!
Simple monster card for boys
I was playing around with paper and a die…I had been thinking about those paper lunch bag puppets I used to make as a kid, and this little fun card came out. Be sure you tuck cards folded this way all the way into the envelope when prepping them for OWH: the cards that have a front to hang out of the envelope are better for our heroes, since they can see them without having to take them out of the envelope first. But for special cards – totally fine Watch below, or click HERE to watch in HD on YouTube!
Post your versions on our Facebook wall – and check out what everyone else made this week: HERE
• A2 Card Curved Edge Die —— http://goo.gl/IwUWFE
• Neenah Classic Crest 80# Desert Storm —— http://goo.gl/3YGMkq
• Tombow Adhesive Stamp Runner & Refill —— http://goo.gl/0SOTBc
• Sizzix Framelits Circles —— http://goo.gl/tBq4lt
• EK Success 1-3/4″ circle punch —— http://goo.gl/dO3YpF
• EK 1-1/2 inch circle punch —— http://goo.gl/lLb3J8
• ScorBuddy by ScorPal —— http://goo.gl/eQsaRw
Snoopy Belated Birthday Card
Snoopy started out just looking down at the ground…but wait for it! By card #3, he has something to get him thinking about that birthday he missed! (Note: Belated birthday cards go in the SAME section as birthday when packing your OWH box.) Watch below, or click HERE to see it in HD on YouTube.
——— S U P P L I E S ———
• Tsukineko Tack n Peel —— http://goo.gl/Bc0Y5e
• EZ Mount Thick EZ Mount —— http://goo.gl/3o0fh8
• EZ Mount Thin EZ Mount —— http://goo.gl/G0CcHQ
• Wplus9 Unforgettable —— http://goo.gl/aKoQoz
• Wplus9 Unforgettable stamps and dies —— http://goo.gl/qBY5t5
• Tim Holtz Distress Watercolor Cardstock —— http://goo.gl/CD1yID
• Ranger Archival Ink Pad, Jet Black —— http://goo.gl/ox4M9M
• Koi Watercolor Sketch Box 24 Colors w/Brush —— http://goo.gl/UVrCZa
Hope you’re not dragging from too much StPatty’s week celebrating! We have two videos from this week to share with you.
Creating a patina – with Sketch 250
——— S U P P L I E S ———
• Paper Smooches Crystal Clear Set —— http://goo.gl/pOyMlS
• Tim Holtz Cracked Pistachio Pad —— http://goo.gl/aRjuZ3
• Distress Ink Pad, Peeled Paint —— http://goo.gl/3sJbBh
• Distress Ink Pad, Peacock Feathers —— http://goo.gl/lGUAms
• Tim Holtz Walnut Stain Ink —— http://goo.gl/6OA5zb
• Absorber —— http://goo.gl/RxhRQM
• Lawn Fawn 3.5 Inch Acrylic Block —— http://goo.gl/MZigbQ
• Lawn Fawn 4 x 5 Inch Block —— http://goo.gl/zYAq6H
• 3M Scotch Post It Roll —— http://goo.gl/1jRm0c
• Sizzix Circle Dies —— http://goo.gl/50UW4R
• Ranger Mini Round Ink Blending Tools —— http://goo.gl/Ek6LvP
• Glue Dots 3/8″ —— http://goo.gl/4EneCm
• Power Tabs —— http://goo.gl/QWlmUI
• Tonic 8.5 Inch Trimmer —— http://goo.gl/nMkMbn
A selection of button dies:
- Memory Box Stitched Button Die —— http://goo.gl/0aV82H
- IO Button dies —— http://goo.gl/zw8QUG
- MFT button dies —— http://goo.gl/GVtAwi
The big trimmer is at Ellen Hutson but it looks like they’re out at the moment – get on the notifications list by clicking here:
- Tonic Maxi 12 Inch Guillotine Paper Trimmer —— http://goo.gl/LCk3Km
Making your own background with the MISTI
Our second video this week shows how the MISTI works! In the video, a stamp set is shown that has a strip of a design – and with the MISTI it’s easy to make it into a background that lines up well. Watch below or click HERE to see it in HD on YouTube. Supplies and links mentioned in the video are below.
Links mentioned in this video:
——— S U P P L I E S ———
You might possibly get this stamp set in the Flat Rate Envelope Stamp Fundraiser (no guarantees, they weren’t in all packs, but there were a lot of them)…not many of the fundraisers are left! —— http://goo.gl/1WpHuV
• Misti —— http://goo.gl/Pcs7Gb
• Tim Holtz Distress Watercolor Cardstock —— http://goo.gl/39ksNB
• Tim Holtz Faded Jeans Distress Ink —— http://goo.gl/iZkvFF
• Tim Holtz Cracked Pistachio Distress Ink —— http://goo.gl/BviqnO
• Tim Holtz Fired Brick Distress Ink Pad —— http://goo.gl/5QVOxJ
• Tim Holtz Distress Seedless Preserves Ink —— http://goo.gl/760R6z
• Absorber —— http://goo.gl/DHrxmr
Sentiments are from OWH fundraiser sets:
• Blessings to you —— http://goo.gl/E6jXi9
• Hero Arts You’re Always In My Heart —— http://goo.gl/YCncsx
• Hero Arts You’re My World —— http://goo.gl/ShzGQ7
Hello everyone! OWHtv returned this week with a pair of videos – one’s a short tip about all those fancy fold dies that have been coming out lately…the other shows how the Butterfly Kaleidoscope card was made. Be sure to check out the supply list if you haven’t picked up the new OWH stamp sets yet…I keep calling them by the wrong names (Stitched Animals and Flowers) so maybe you haven’t found them yet – but the links are there to two online stores!
The Boo Boo in the subject line? I’m sad to report that two of our videos were removed by YouTube, and some of you noticed that as you went to look for the tag videos from a couple weeks ago when we gave them away. I’ve been trying to figure out why, and haven’t come up with answers yet. Maybe they didn’t like us sharing tags, LOL! But oh well. Two videos out of all the ones we posted isn’t too bad a record! Good news: a few of the cards using those tags have begun to come in the mail, and I’ll be excited to share them with you in April. Stay tuned!
Don’t forget our challenges hanging out there- the ODBD challenge, and just yesterday our 250th sketch was posted with a new pdf!! Let’s see if we can hit a record number of participants to celebrate that milestone!
Below are our videos from this week…enjoy!
About Fancy Dies: Watch below or click HERE to watch on YouTube.
Hero Arts Butterfly Kaleidoscope: Watch below or click HERE to watch on YouTube.
Supplies for this card:
• Butterfly and Flower (Stitched Flowers) Ellen Hutson —— http://goo.gl/UN70do
• Butterfly and Flower (Stitched Flowers) Simon Says —— http://goo.gl/xssTby
• Baby Animals (Stitched Animals) Simon Says —— http://goo.gl/23hnEg
• Baby Animals (Stitched Animals) Ellen Hutson —— http://goo.gl/d6DV5m
• Butter Bar Ink —— http://goo.gl/EfzmpT
• Hero Arts Orange Soda Ink —— http://goo.gl/XDP7ua
• Hero Arts Iris Ink —— http://goo.gl/T3YZbP
• Hero Arts Punch Chalk Ink —— http://goo.gl/eX55cR
• Hero Arts Pool Ink —— http://goo.gl/cDkGeg
• Hero Arts Shadow Bubble Gum —— http://goo.gl/yE6uaL
• Hero Arts Tide Pool Ink —— http://goo.gl/mn7wK9
• Hero Arts Green Hills Ink —— http://goo.gl/H6olN9
Another week of fun while I’m away…hope you all have been enjoying the videos I made ahead of time for you! This first video shows some challenges with this week’s sketch – and how we can adjust our designs to make sure we’re not producing sneeze on our cards. If you can’t see the videos below in email, click on the blog post title to go see it on the blog.
And in the second video, I show you how I re-did a card similar to the sample card!
The office reopens next week – but it’ll still be a while til things are their “normal” level of busy again, lots of catchup to do!
I’m in Europe – and what better than soccer….er, uhm, football? Futball? (Oh where is that u with the little dots over it!) This week – a card using a hexagon die, and then another video challenging use of some of the leftover bits! (If you can’t see these videos in email, click on the blog title to go to the website to see them.)
Supplies for both videos:
Happy Valentines Day!
This week we invited YOU to join in…we had 20 winners chosen and they’ll have a month to make a card and get it sent in. We’ll share our favorites out of those – (If you can’t see these videos in email, click on the blog title to go to the website to see them.)
Remember that the office is closed for just over 2 weeks, so the standard courtesy receipts will not be sent til possibly March. Emails will not be answered until then, either. Thanks for your patience!
Supplies for both videos:
The Stitched Animals are listed HERE, but not the Stitched flowers yet; put yourself on the ‘notify’ list and maybe both will be in at the same time!